Do you really know who your Internet pen pal is? How do you know your new friend is who they say they are?
In this Quest you will learn the importance of being a responsible digital citizen. You will learn about potential online dangers, how to stay safe using instant messaging, and how to protect your reputation.
1. Learn how to be safe online. (Remember you looked at the Top 10 Online Safety Tips from the previous Quest.)
2. Watch the video - Protecting Reputations Online
3. Take the online Internet Safety Guidelines quiz
4. Select one of the following topics covered in Danger!:
- Being Safe Online
- Protecting Your Reputation Online
- Internet Safety Guidelines
5. Use Glogster (or another online tool you have learned) to create an online poster to share with others.
FYI - check with your teacher, they may have an educational account with a user name already created for you for Glogster. You may use the skills you have developed in earlier lessons by using the Safe Search and Reusable Content for Google images. Additional sites for copyright free images are listed below in the Resources section. In addition, you may add music from Mobygratis.
6. Be creative, demonstrate your knowledge, and cite your sources. Your online poster should demonstrate what you learned about the topic you chose. Make it creative and unique, while explaining why it is important to remember internet safety guidelines, being safe online, or protecting your reputation online. Be sure to properly cite any sources you used in your research.
Completing this Quest
Save your poster to your File Space or link it to your portfolio, blog, wiki, or online presence. Report to your teacher for approval.
Here is a rubric to guide this activity (optional) Poster rubric
Additional Resources for copyright free images:
Check off this Quest on the 21t4s Roadmap
I am ready for the next Quest, Quest OEQ.
ISTE and Common Core Standards
1. Empowered Learner
a. Articulate and set personal learning goals, develop strategies leveraging technology to achieve them, and reflect on the learning process itself to improve learning outcomes
2. Digital Citizen
b. Engage in positive, safe, legal and ethical behavior when using technology, including social interactions online or when using networked devices
c. demonstrate an understanding of and respect for the rights and obligations of using and sharing intellectual property
Common Core Standards
Use technology, including the Internet, to produce and publish writing and present the relationships between information and ideas efficiently as well as to interact and collaborate with others.