Quest 3 Videos
Advantages of using a video to communicate your message
- Stories can be long or short
- Can combine voice, text, and screen
- Communicates a wide variety of ideas; versatile
- Requires careful planning, scripting, and practice to execute properly
- Editing can consume a lot of time
Look over the Video resources suggested below and make your plan.
Tip: using a storyboard is a big time saver.
The following video resources are free:
- WeVideo is an online video editor with a variety of editing features and tools. This looks like an expensive program, but it's free for the creation of a 5 minute video. Upload or use their audio, images, graphics and video. You can record your voice.
WeVideo Academy tutorials or watch our own Digital Storytelling We Video tutorials
- Adobe Spark is a very easy to use video creation tool to communicate your message. It is an app as well as web-based tool with nothing to download or install. You can create a Post to a social network, create page, or Spark Video. Templates, music, and photos are provided, just add your text or voice and create your video.
YouTube tutorial or watch our own Digital Storytelling Spark tutorial
- ￼SpliceVideo (iOS)* for the iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch as a free download. This app let's you edit on the go to create professional-looking videos. Features included: trim clips, adjust transitions, add slow motion effects, and more.
YouTube Splice App Tutorial
- ￼Educreations is an app available from the Apple App Store, requires iOS 8.0 or later and is compatible with the iPad. Educreations "is a unique interactive whiteboard and screencasting tool that's simple, powerful, and fun to use. Annotate, animate, and narrate nearly any type of content as you explain any concept."
- Sutori works on all devices and is web-based. Add media, images, video and audio to bring your message to life. An account (free) is required to create and share your stories or message.
Sutori How-to Guide
- TouchCast is an app for the iPhone, iPad and Mac computer. This app requires OS X 10.10 or later on the Mac, or iOS 9.0 or later on the iPhone and iPad.
** allows the addition of questions and interactives to a video.
- A video is like seeing a living picture that can communicate a message without the need for audio or music like the one at the top of this page.
- Video is a very versatile medium where adding text, music, narration, transitions and effects can greatly enrich the experience for the audience. Be careful to not overdo the special effects or transitions. Keep the audience on your message.
- Think about your message carefully and picture it in your mind.
- Your challenge is to get your message across effectively in between 30 seconds to 2 minutes.
- Videos require careful planning and scripting and the editing process can take a lot of time (at least 3 times longer than you plan for).
- Creating a storyboard is a huge time saver.
Return to Creative Communications Q3 main page