Gold: What is the message?
Open this pdf document of the "I had a Dream " speech by Martin Luther King.
View this video of the same as a video
In this Quest, you will explore the advantages and disadvantages of using video and written text to get a message across.
1. It helps if 1/2 of the class, or a partner, watches the video above, while the other half or partner opens the speech document and reads it silently.
2. Partner up (one that watched the video with one that read the speech) to compare your experience and discuss answers to A-C below. Write down your answers.
A. What is the message?
B. Identify two advantages and two disadvantages for these two different types of media (written text versus video). Which one would you each prefer and why?
C. What types of things can you observe from the video that are not available by reading the text?
3. Compare the advantages and disadvantages and preferences through a class discussion.
4. Check with your teacher to see how to submit your work for this Quest.
Completing this Quest
When you have finished watching the video or read the text doument and participated in a constructive discussion about the disadvantages and advantages, you are ready for the next Quest. Save it to your File Space and share it with your teacher.
Check off this Quest on your 21t4s roadmap
2. Communication and Collaboration
B. Communicate information and ideas effectively to multiple audiences using a variety of media and formats
D. Contribute to project teams to produce original works or solve problems
5. Digital Citizenship
C. Demonstrate personal responsibility for lifelong learning
D. Exhibit leadership for digital citizenship
6. Technology Operations and Concepts
A. Understand and use technology systems
B. Select and use applications effectively and productively
D. Transfer current knowledge to learning of new technologies
Common Core Standards
CCSS.ELA-Literacy.CCRA.W.4 Produce clear and coherent writing in which the development, organization, and style are appropriate to task, purpose, and audience.
CCSS.ELA-Literacy.CCRA.W.5 Develop and strengthen writing as needed by planning, revising, editing, rewriting, or trying a new approach.
CCSS.ELA-Literacy.CCRA.W.7 Conduct short as well as more sustained research projects based on focused questions, demonstrating understanding of the subject under investigation.
CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RI.6.7, 7.7, 8.7 Compare and contrast a text to an audio, video, or multimedia version of the text