In this Quest you will be having fun learning about four different common scams. Learn how to protect yourself, family, friends, and pets. Outsmart the scammers!
Scam: a dishonest scheme
Infographic: a visual image such as a chart or diagram used to represent information or data
Preparation: Download (E.TerraceVisit.pdf) or open this East Terrace Mall Visit (Google doc) step-by-step directions
1. Click this link and visit the East Terrace Area of the Mall and carry out your visits to the four stores named: Clothing Co., Free Vacation!, Maggie's Miracle Cart, and Kablamo! Comics.
2. Open a word processing document named East Terrace and add your initials. Copy the questions below and paste them into your document.
3. Follow the directions in the East Terrace Mall Visit. After your visits to the four stores answer the following questions (per your teacher's directions in a class discussion, a document, in partners...).
How do scams mislead people?
How does the “free vacation” scam work?
What are 3 ways “miracle” products are misleading or scams?
What are 3 scams you blasted in the Scamblaster
4. Based on what you learned in Quest 2 about advertising and this one about scams, work in a small group to create your own scam. Create and a poster (infographic, drawing, or as suggested by your teacher) to advertise your scam to your classmates.
5. Present your scam to the class for feedback or a vote on the "best scam."
Completing this Quest
When you are done with your assignment, share it with your teacher or save a copy for your digital portfolio.
Check off this Quest on the 21t4s Roadmap
I have completed the Quests as assigned by my teacher.
Go to the graduation page for this Thing.
BONUS Activity: (check with your teacher):
If you have time, explore the Security Plaza to learn about making your personal information secure and summarize what you learned at the bottom of the West Terrace Mall document.
If you have more time, explore the Food Court to learn about competition, mergers, supply and demand, and business practices. List at least three things learned on this visit to the West Terrace Mall in your document.
ISTE and Common Core Standards
1. Empowered Learner
a. Articulate and set personal learning goals, develop strategies leveraging technology to achieve them, and reflect on the learning process itself to improve learning outcomes
2. Digital Citizen
a. Cultivate and manage their digital identity and reputation and are aware of the permanence of their actions in the digital world
b. Engage in positive, safe, legal and ethical behavior when using technology, including social interactions online or when using networked devices
4. Innovative Designer
a. Know and use a deliberate design process for generating ideas, testing theories, creating innovative artifacts or solving authentic problems
Common Core Standards
CCSS.ELA-Literacy.CCRA.W.4 Produce clear and coherent writing in which the development, organization, and style are appropriate to task, purpose, and audience.