QM2 Microsoft file management
One of the tasks you will find useful for schoolwork is to be able to upload and download documents from the "Cloud". In this Quest you will download a .doc file from this page, upload it to your OneDrive or ClassNotebook, and then open it and download the file as an Adobe acrobat .pdf file. Why you might be asking?
Here are two examples:
1. You are going to apply for a job after school, and they tell you to download the application from their web site, fill in your information, and then email it to them as a .pdf file.
2. You want to attend a special event (concert, camp, sports camp...). The form is posted online and you have to download it, fill it in, get your parent's permission, and submit it as a .pdf.
Citation: This is information needed to give credit to, or locate, work(s) published or created (a book, paper, article, web site, artwork, composition, music file) by others.
Upload: This is the action or process of moving or saving files, data, or information to another computer system or server.
Download: You are able to copy (data) from one computer system, server, or web site to your own device, typically over the Internet.
.pdf file: PDF stands for Portable Document Format that is able to be opened by almost any computing device without having to purchase special software and retains the contents in a consistent format (images, fonts, graphics, etc.) It was originally created by Adobe Systems' in 1991.
Steps (demonstrated with Video Part 1)
1. To download a .doc document from this page:
Download (click on the hyperlink) this 4.QM2.RobertFrostbio.docx file and save it to your desktop or filespace with the following name: Q2 RFbioXX.docx and replace the XX with your name or initials.
*Chromebook modified directions: hold down both the Alt and Shift keys and click on the link. Select Download file option. Your downloads folder will open, and BEFORE you click SAVE, replace the XX in the filename with your initials.
2. Now it's time to upload your document to OneDrive or into your Class Notebook.
This step is similar to how you would upload any file to the "Cloud" so that you that can access it anytime and anywhere that there is an Internet connection.
- Login and open OneDrive.
- Click on the folder you want to upload it to (eg.
- Click on the Menu "Upload" and locate the Q2RFbio document you downloaded in step 1 on your computer or drivespace.
- You will see a message the upload is complete and see it in the OneDrive folder.
Class Notebook directions:
Login to Office 365 and open your Class Notebook and
follow your teacher's directions.
3. Click on the Q2 RFbio document (from OneDrive or your Class Notebook) to open it in Word.
Click on Edit Document on the menu bar
Select Word Online and it will prompt you to Convert it and then prompt you to View it. Click on Edit Document once again, go to the REVIEW menu and click on Spelling. Correct the misspelled word.
Copy the citation below and paste it at the bottom of the Q2 RFbio document.
This information is based on PoemHunter.com which is based on the copyrighted Wikipedia Robert Frost; it is used under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License. You may redistribute it, verbatim or modified, providing that you comply with the terms of the CC-BY-SA.
Note: Most of the work on the Internet is copyright, as are many of the images found when you do a Google search for them. It is important to understand copyright rules and to cite the source and give proper credit to the author(s).
4. Now download the document as a .pdf file.
- Go to the File menu and select Save As
- Select Download as PDF and you will see a message that it is converting it and will give you a link to open it once it is done.
- Click the link to open it. You will need Adobe Reader (Free) installed to open it. Notice that it looks the same as the bio Word document you downloaded earlier, but now has the citation you added. Can you edit this .pdf version? Explore the menus and what you are able to do using the Reader.
Note: Unless you have Adobe Acrobat Pro or a special program that will edit PDF documents you will not be able to make changes. This feature helps make it a more secure document format if you don't want it changed.
Completing this Quest
Congratulations on learning to upload, download, edit, and create a PDF file. In the next Quest you will add images to your Collaboration document.
Check off this Quest (QM2) on your 21t4s Roadmap
ISTE and Common Core Standards
1. Empowered Learner
d. Understand the fundamental concepts of technology operations, demonstrate the ability to choose, use and troubleshoot current technologies, are able to transfer their knowledge to explore emerging technologies
4. Innovative Designer
a. Know and use deliberate design process for generating ideas, testing theories, creating innovative artifacts or solving authentic problems