Q1 Formatting Tools & Menus
Note: There are two short videos (~5 min each) that will walk you quickly through the steps for this Quest. Play, pause and replay them as desired. *Remember to make these full-screen for best viewing. Part 1 is for Steps 1-6, and Part 2 completes the steps for the Quest. We recommend you use the step-by-step guide provided along with the videos.
In this Quest you will create a new document and type in the content provided in Part 1. Your challenge is to learn to use formatting features in this document. When you are done we expect you will be able to:
- use styles to create a heading
- change the font
- format the text with bold, italics, and underline
- change colors of the text and highlight text
- use the alignment tools to center or right align text
- share the document with your teacher
Some suggestions for following the directions:
- Desktop or laptop: Make this browser window smaller to take up only half of your screen and Open a new browser window, resize it to fit and open these directions so that the directions are visible while you work.
- Check with your teacher to see if a Print-out of these directions is available
- Watch the video, pausing frequently to watch and complete each step
Format: When you are working in a word processing document you are able to change the shape, size and organization of text and other elements on a page. On the toolbar menu, you can locate Format and all of the options.
Styles: A master page layout used in document creation systems such as word processing to store margins, tabs, fonts, headers, footers
Begin by expanding the Part 1 section (use the +)
Part 1 video
1. In your Google Drive space, create a new folder and title it with your first name, last initial and 21thingswork, Collaboration, or some other title that is helpful to store your work for this class.
2. Open the folder you just created and
a. Create a new document
b. Give your document a name to help you locate it again later on (4.collaboration and your initials)
c. Then type the "Nothing Gold Can Stay" poem below exactly, with the spelling error in the first line:
Note - sure it's easy to copy and paste (except when it is an image like below), but it's very important to practice your typing skills and see how accurate you can be! Challenge: can you type it 100% correctly, including the spelling error on your first time?
3. Go to the TOOLS Menu and select Spelling (you will see the misspelled word that will have a red squiggle line under it and be highlighted). Accept the change suggested in the spelling check window.
4. Put 1 space between the title and the poem.
5. Change the text style of the title to Title.
6. Select ALL the text and change Font on the poem and author to Arial, and then change the Font size of the poem to Size 14.
Done with Part 1. Continue to Part 2
Part 2 Video
7. Bold the word "Eden".
8. Apply Italics to "by Robert Frost".
9. Underline the title.
10. Change the color words (gold and green) to their colors.
11. Color with a green highlight the word "leaf's" .
12. Highlight the word "dawn" to gray .
13. Center the title
14. Add a space between the poem and the author line and Right align the author's line
15. Space down 3 lines below the author's name and add "Edited by....(your name)" and format it to Heading 3.
16. Proof your work. Now glance through your entire document and see if there are any words underlined with a red dotted line indicating that there may be a spelling error. If you find any errors, be sure to correct them.
17. Check with your teacher to see if you should follow the next steps to share your document or continue to the next Quest before sharing.
How to share your document
How to share your document
To share your document: Click the Share lock icon, leave it set to private and click on Advanced and in the Invite people: box enter the email address your teacher provides.
Change the Sharing setting from Can edit, to Can Comment.
Make sure the checkbox is checked for Notify people via email
Click on Add message
Add a short message I'm sharing my Google Docs formatting assignment with you. and click on Send.
*** Be sure to save your document and remember how to return to it for future Quests.
ISTE and Common Core Standards
1. Empowered Learner
d. Understand the fundamental concepts of technology operations, demonstrate the ability to choose, use and troubleshoot current technologies, are able to transfer their knowledge to explore emerging technologies
4. Innovative Designer
a. Know and use deliberate design process for generating ideas, testing theories, creating innovative artifacts or solving authentic problems