Q2 Thrill Rides
You have been selected by your teacher to carry out an investigation named, Operation Thrill Rides. You will travel to an amusement park (virtually or online) and investigate the rides to find the most thrilling roller coaster and water ride. Your information will need to be organized in a visual map. You are to organize your rides using a graphic organizer. Organize them into categories, and provide a review of them.
Graphic organizer: A graphic organizer is a visual and graphic display that depicts the relationships between facts, terms, and or ideas within a learning task. Graphic organizers are also sometimes referred to as concept maps, story maps, advance organizers, storyboards, or concept diagrams.
Visual map: A visual map is the use of pictures to help you solve problems, think about complex issues and communicate more effectively.
I Can Statements
- create a graphic organizer
- use a graphic organizer to brainstorm a project or presentation
1. To create your graphic organizer, you may wish to review the training videos, click one of the links below.
2. Travel to Cedar Point using the virtual pathway below. Locate the rides you feel are the "Most Thrilling" roller coaster and water rides. Create categories for "types of rides" and organize them on the graphic organizer by a category name.
Image by hounddiggity
3. Create your visual map using one of the links below or an alternate graphic tool (see the additional resources at the bottom of this page, on an app on the list at the right).
4. Create a image capture (screen shot).
5. Save it to your File Space.
6. Take this roller coaster survey and make a prediction (click here).
Completing this Quest
In order to complete this Quest create a screen shot of your graphic organizer and save it to your File Space (or into a digital portfolio). Make sure to have a meeting with your teacher about your File Space or how to turn this in. This is extremely important that you have access to your File Space.
To earn Expert status
Explain which Thrill Ride has the most potential energy and which ride would have the most kinetic energy. You must also explain why this would be true. This document needs to be saved to your File Space and presented to your teacher for review.
Having trouble remembering what Kinetic and Potential Energy mean? Try the links below to review.
More interesting information about energy and roller coasters
Check off this Quest on the 21t4s roadmap
I have completed this Quest and I am ready for Quest 3
- Try the following http://creately.com/ - This site requires you to download the program. Please check with your tech department first.
- http://www.xmind.net - This site requires you to sign up and then sends an activation email
- http://www.mindomo.com/pricing.htm - If you would prefer your students select another amusement park, try the link below
- Links to amusement parks around the world
ISTE and Common Core Standards
3. Knowledge Constructor
c. curate information from digital resources using a variety of tools and methods
5. Computational Thinker
b. Collect data or identify relevant data sets
6. Creative Communicator
b. Create original works or responsibly repurpose or remix digital resources into new creations
Common Core Standards
Common Core Science Standards
MS-PS 3 a, b Energy
CCSS.ELA-Literacy.CCRA.W.1 Write arguments to support claims in an analysis of substantive topics or texts using valid reasoning and relevant and sufficient evidence.
CCSS.ELA-Literacy.CCRA.W.2 Write informative/explanatory texts to examine and convey complex ideas and information clearly and accurately through the effective selection, organization, and analysis of content.
CCSS.ELA-Literacy.CCRA.W.4 Produce clear and coherent writing in which the development, organization, and style are appropriate to task, purpose, and audience.