Q2 Plan & Create with a Cartoon PSA
Video tutorial showing cartooncasting with writecomics
Plan and Create a PSA draft with a Cartoon
Note: If you choose to create a cartoon as your PSA draft, follow the steps provided to use Writecomics. Plan on some time to practice using the program until you become good at using the program. If you need more practice then keep “playing” with the Application until you know how to use it, and you can explain the steps to a classmate without hesitation.
Steps for a Cartoon PSA:
1. Collect your artifacts.
- Review what copyright is
- Quickly review this helpful Safe Search Image Resources (or watch the video ) so you can save time searching and locating copyright free images you can use and/or modify.
- Create a folder (in a shared folder if possible) and begin collecting the files you plan to use (images, photos, video clips, sound recording...).
2. Open or download this step-by-step set of directions: cartooncasting.pdf
3. Go to the web site called writecomics.com and get started! Create an example so you get familiar with how the program works.
Create a PSA
4. After you create your own example cartoon, your task is create one for your PSA (Public Service Announcement psarubric.pdf ). See if you can make your point in 4 panels or less.
Remember characteristics of a PSA:
- Take a position with a message (such as 'don't give your password to a friend, be careful what information you put in a chat room, don't be intimidated by bullying texts...)
- Deliver ONE core message that is convincing (supported with facts, images, examples...)
- Catch the attention of your intended audience with a clear message
- Create a slogan that is memorable and stands out, easy to remember, or uses an image that catches attention
Note: If you would like an alternate cartoon site try:
5. Create and complete your PSA draft.
6. When done check with your teacher on how to turn this in.
Completing this Quest
When you have turned in your PSA document you are ready to move onto the next Quest.
Check off this Quest on the 21t4s Roadmap
I have completed this and am ready for Quest 3
ISTE and Common Core Standards
1. Empowered Learner
a. Articulate and set personal learning goals, develop strategies leveraging technology to achieve them, and reflect on the learning process itself to improve learning outcomes
d. Understand the fundamental concepts of technology operations, demonstrate the ability to choose, use and troubleshoot current technologies, are able to transfer their knowledge to explore emerging technologies
2. Digital Citizen
b. Engage in positive, safe, legal and ethical behavior when using technology, including social interactions online or when using networked devices
4. Innovative Designer
a. Know and use a deliberate design process for generating ideas, testing theories, creating innovative artifacts or solving authentic problems
Common Core Standards
CCSS.ELA-Literacy.CCRA.W.4 Produce clear and coherent writing in which the development, organization, and style are appropriate to task, purpose, and audience.
CCSS.ELA-Literacy.CCRA.W.5 Develop and strengthen writing as needed by planning, revising, editing, rewriting, or trying a new approach.
CCSS.ELA-Literacy.CCRA.W.7 Conduct short as well as more sustained research projects based on focused questions, demonstrating understanding of the subject under investigation.