Gold Public-Service-Announcement Quest
Digital Storytelling can be done through videos, podcasts, ebooks, timelines, narrated presentations, images, or many different interactive media.
You can use presentation tools or graphic organizers to organize your media and story, the plot, setting, characters, conflict or main point, and the resolution or final message.
This Quest explores Public Service Announcements as a persuasive digital story.
Public Service Announcement (PSA): The purpose of a PSA is to motivate a specific target audience to take an action based on the message.
Target audience: A target audience is your intended audience for your PSA, such as friends, parents of your classroom, your relatives, etc.
I Can Statement
- know what a PSA is.
- know characteristics of a PSA.
1. To develop an appreciation for a Public Service Announcement (PSA) watch the following video from SchoolTube.
2. With a partner or as a class, look at the following list of PSA characteristics.
- Take a position with a message (such as don't give your password to a friend, be careful what information you put in a chat room, don't be intimidated by bullying texts...)
- Deliver ONE core message that is convincing (supported with facts, images, examples...)
- Catch the attention of your intended audience with a clear message
- Create a slogan that is memorable and stands out, easy to remember, or uses an image that catches attention
See some PSA examples by students
3. Watch the short PSA's (created by students) that are embedded below and then discuss the questions provided in step 4.
Homework We're done --- Are you?
- What persuasive techniques are being used in both examples?
- What is the message and call to action presented in both examples?
5. Identify a partner or small group to work with and use this list of topics to select a topic ( PSAtopics.pdf, PSAtopics.doc, gdoc file). Then talk with your teacher about your topic idea. If you get stuck, check for ideas from this additional list of writing topics.
When ready, continue on to the PSA Creation: Cartoon or Infographic