Q10 Sort It Out
You have been asked to manage the music for the beginning of a party, before the DJ arrives. The party theme is top music from 2016. Your job is to put together a play list for the first 30 minutes. You have a list of music, descriptions, and play times (over two hours of music) in a spreadsheet to choose from.
Your task is to sort the list in several different ways, and create your own playlist. You may want to work with a partner on this project.
Genre: Genre is a particular type of literature, music or art.
Party Playlist: A party playlist is a mix of everyone's song preferences.
I Can Statements
- can select an appropriate tool to represent data
- can use spreadsheets, charts and visual representations are tools to help organize, evaluate, and present data
- share my spreadsheet and charts with others
Part 1 Options: It is important to check with your teacher on which option you will use to download (Excel) or copy (Google sheet) the SortItOut data file.
Part 1 Google Sheet Directions & Video
Google sheet directions:
If you will use the Google sheet version click this link 21t4s Sort It Out
- Go to the File menu, select Make a copy and do not check the box to share it with the same people.
- Rename your spreadsheet to Party playlist and add your initials.
- Watch the video (for Google Sheets) below. It might be helpful to look at the list while you watch, or pause it and try each step.
Part 1 Excel Directions & Video
Part One Assignment for both options
Part One Assignment:
Follow the directions and do the following sorts. Remember to watch the column headers and make sure they don't get sorted into the rest of the data.
a. Sort by Artist - how many artists have more than one entry?
b. Sort by Genre - how many different genre are there?
c. Sort by Song Title - are there some duplicates. Delete the duplicate you don't want in the list.
A quick review of what you accomplished in Part One.
• sorting a spreadsheet by different columns (variables)
• freezing the top row (Google) or protect the headers (Excel)
• how to delete a row
• how to UNDO something you just did in the spreadsheet
Part Two Assignment for both options
Part Two Assignment
Do you want a variety of genre or categories of songs?
Do you only want certain artists?
What songs do you think other partiers will prefer?
Remember: You can only have up to 30 minutes of music
It's time to work on your party playlist. We have provided Part Two video tutorials to help you accomplish these tasks.
Here's what you will be doing:
- Create a new tab in your spreadsheet for your own list, and title it Party Playlist
- Copy and paste the column headings onto your new list
- Begin copying your favorites and pasting them onto your party playlist.
- As you add new songs, you will need to add a formula for the computer to add up the minutes and seconds to make sure you are under or equal to 30 minutes.
- When you are done, share your playlist or document with your teacher.
Part Two Google Sheet Directions & Video
Part Two Excel Directions & Video
Completing this Quest
Check with your teacher on how you should turn in your 30 minute party playlist document for credit. Great job!
Check off this Quest on the 21t4s roadmap
I have completed the Quests as assigned by my teacher.
Go to the graduation page for this Thing.
ISTE and Common Core Standards
3. Knowledge Constructor
c. Curate information from digital resources using a variety of tools and methods to create collections of artifacts that demonstrate meaningful connections or conclusions
5. Computational Thinker
a. Formulate problem definitions suited for technology-assisted methods such as data analysis, abstract models and algorithmic thinking in exploring and finding solutions
b. Collect data or identify relevant data sets
c. Break problems into component parts, extract key information
6. Creative Communicator
a. Create original works or responsibly repurpose or remix digital resources into new creations
b. Communicate complex ideas clearly and effectively by creating or using a variety of digital objects such as visualizations, models or simulations
d. Publish or present content that customizes the message and medium for a variety of audiences.
Common Core Standards
MP.5 Use appropriate tools strategically
MP.6 Attend to precision