Do you or a classmate need help with understanding a subject? Use the following resources to locate an interactive activity to help explain or support the subject, like the virtual manipulatives above. You can learn while you play!
Your task is to become familiar with on-line interactive sites that can help you learn. You will compare three sites to see if you can locate video, audio, simulations, or other interactives that can help you learn.
Manipulatives: objects that provide a way for children to learn concepts in a developmentally appropriate, hands-on and an experiencing way
Vertices: a point where two or more straight lines meet
1. Go to Library of National Manipulatives and click on grades 6-8-Geometry-Lady Bug Maze. Read the directions on the right side of the page for "Create a plan for the ladybug" and "Try out your plan." Go back to the list of manipulatives and try one or two others.
(NOTE: If this is blocked, use "turtle pond" from NCTM Illuminations).
- After completing the Ladybug Maze or Turtle Pond, create your own maze on grid paper to share with your classmate. Choose a place for your creature to begin and end. Mark the two locations on the grid. Write step by step directions using (x,y) coordinates and exchange with your partner and complete the exercise, seeing if they are able to complete your path correctly. (If you want practice using coordinates, click this link to try parking a car using a grid and coordinate system. Can you do three of these on a first try?)
- Be sure to include at least four changes in direction, making sure to list the vertices along the way.
2. Go to Edheads- Science and Math Interactives and click on Choose an Activity.
If you are in grades 7-9 click on Trauma. Your task is to stabilize a patient and determine why he passed out while driving.
If you are in grades 4-6 click on Weather at the bottom of the list. Click START and select the Predict the Weather option.
If you are in grades 10-12 choose the Crash Scene Investigation. Your task is to help the highway patrol and recreate a deadly crash by examining the evidence and calculating the forces. There are additional resources on the page to help with your investigation. Click on START when ready.
If you are in grades 2-5 choose Simple Machines and click on START. Learna bout simple and compound machines while you explore the House and Tool Shed.
More Interactive Sites
4. Write a brief review of the one you think would be the most useful to you in school. Include the information below. Post your information in the location your teacher specifies. This could be in a learning management system, on a blog, wiki, or other site to share your findings with your classmates.
- The name of the activity
- URL of the activity
- Topic you researched
- Two or three sentences describing the activity with a screenshot of it
- Two to four sentences telling why you recommend this activity and what you liked about it the most
Completing this Quest
Share your results in your File Space. Remember, if you are posting this on a blog or other website, don't put your address or any other personal information. Just share your results.
Check off this Quest on the 21t4s Roadmap
Proceed to Quest 3 Interactive Study Tools
ISTE and Common Core Standards
1. Empowered Learner
a. Articulate and set personal learning goals, develop strategies leveraging technology to achieve them, and reflect on the learning process itself to improve learning outcomes
c. Use Technology to seek feedback that informs and improves their practice and to demonstrate their learning in a variety of ways
d. Understand the fundamental concepts of technology operations, demonstrate the ability to choose, use and troubleshoot current technologies, are able to transfer their knowledge to explore emerging technologies
2. Digital Citizen
a. Cultivate and manage their digital identity and reputation and are aware of the permanence of their actions in the digital world
Common Core Math Standards
Step 1 Lady Bug Maze
CCSS.Math.Content.6.NS.C.6 Understand a rational number as a point on the number line. Extend number line diagrams and coordinate axes familiar from previous grades to represent points on the line and in the plane with negative number coordinates
CCSS.Math.Practice.MP4 Model with mathematics.
Common Core Science Standard
Step 2 Weather Activity
ESS 2.D Weather & Climate